[Ifeffit] Minor bugs in the new versions

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 28 14:01:04 CDT 2004

Hi Gerrit,

>  > Yes, it should be possible to change update_site in updater.ini.
>  > You'd want to copy the contents of the current update site to
>  > another web site.
>  > You can also manually download all the ifup_XXX.zip files,
>
> I think I now understand how to do that. Actually I did not want to
> change update_site to another website but to a local folder (is that
> also possible?) but if it is sufficient just to overwrite the
> installation directory with the content of the zip-files thats even
> easier for me.

The update files must be on a web site. The updater reads the update
level and zip files using normal web protocals, and reads only the
updater.ini file and the current update level from the local disk.

Since all it really does is download and unzip the update files
for you, it's not that hard to do it by hand.

On some of the other issues you're seeing:

 1  artemis.config from ifup_008.zip has
      windows=C:\Program Files\Ifeffit\....
    hardwired into it.  Bruce might have an opinion on whether it's
    better to change this file by hand or just erase it and allow it
    to be remade.  But it's probably going to cause similar problems
    for anyone who's installed somewhere other than
    C:\Program Files\Ifeffit

 2  I can definitely run artemis and athena at the same on a Windows
    machine, so I doubt there's a lock on Perl's Ifeffit.dll.  I'd
    assume that if other people could only run one of these at a
    time there would be many complaints.

 3  On my WinXP box, athena and artemis each use about 55Mb at
    startup -- without reading in any data.  That seems to be about
    50% Ifeffit / 50% Perl/Tk (the ifeffit shell takes ~24Mb).
    I don't know enough about what changed to guess why the memory
    usage would've changed between versions of artemis and athena,
    but I think they should both be able to run in 256Mb.  Anyway,
    I'd suggest watching the memory usage in TaskManager as you
    start athena and artemis to see if it really is a memory issue.

Hope that helps,