[Ifeffit] Substrate material question

Kropf, Arthur Jeremy kropf at cmt.anl.gov
Wed Apr 28 07:51:41 CDT 2004

Paul,

Silicon is quite strong.  However, it is also brittle.  For detectors I have been able to bend 200 micron silicon to less than a 200mm radius.  That should be plenty of strain.  Virginia Semiconductor is great.  Look at their double-side polished stock and you can typically find one or two batches with less than 200 micron thickness.  Wafers thinner than 100 microns begin to get quite fragile.

Jeremy Kropf

Chemical Engineering Division
Argonne National Laboratory