[Ifeffit] Substrate material question

Chris Glover cjg109 at rsphy1.anu.edu.au
Tue Apr 27 20:29:08 CDT 2004

Paul,

A further idea along the thin Si path could be to use SOI (Silicon on
Insulator) wafers - high quality wafers suitable even for Ge MBE
applications.  This then makes the growth process and handling easy. The
trick is to then etch through the SiO2 layer with HF (from the sides)
whilst applying a suitable mask... sounds nasty but is actually quite
easy.  Furthermore, if you are after 50-100um thick substrates, that
thickness (with say 10% uniformity) can be easily obtained by post growth
mechanical polishing.  One thing you may have to consider is possible
diffraction effects for the thicker films.  Im not sure that your 1/e loss
is really going to be a problem for you if you can prepare samples with a
reasonable edge jump..... that sort of equates to measuring the As edge in
transmission from a 10um thick GaAs film.  Ive played with 10um Silicon
before in a 2" wafer - I tried used it as a widgee (SP?) board between my
fingers, and it was certainly intact when it left my hands.

SiN 'windows' (ie SiN grown on Si, with a 'hole' in the middle with the Si
removed) are also another alternative (these have been used for UHV metal
depositions in for eg surface magnetism).  Might be tricky to figure out
the exact curvature though.

What about a Be substrate / window - they oxidise easily but this might not
matter; might be a bit stiff though.

Mylar?

I guess the end choice depends on your growth conditions / requirements

Chris.