[Ifeffit] Substrate material question

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Tue Apr 27 19:58:37 CDT 2004

   I have still not decided on the final substrate material, but I have
a couple of samples coming from Dupont of polyimide (same composition
as Kapton) material called vespel.  It is essentially inert as one
would expect (like Kapton), but due to differences in manufacture I
understand it is hydroscopic.  From this I assume that the reaction for
making Kapton is diffusion limited and Vespel is essentially a
"polycrystalline" -- in the sense there are grains between which water
can absorb -- form of Kapton.  The energy in question is 11.6 keV (the
Ge edge).  Si is an interesting idea but the loss for a 200 micron
thick substrate is essentially 1/e.  It is certainly worth considering
for higher energies though!  The 1/e value for polyimide is about 3500
microns in contrast, while the 1/e value for MgO is about 300.  As in
my experiment I want to create biaxial stress in a thin film on the
substrate, I worry that the stress/strain curves for MgO are too stiff.
  On the other hand, thin Si is a real possibility (darn, Si technology
is everywhere!).  I like the Si idea and might try that in parallel.
Has anyone tried using thinned Si wafers (Virginia Technology ? sells
mechanically thinned wafers I think -- I saw them at a MRS booth a long
time ago).  How fragile are the wafers?

On 2004/04/28, at 0:32, Jeff Terry wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> Both items are good to know. I didn't realize that the laminated
> kapton structures still had good heat resistance.
>
> Jeff
>

> On Apr 27, 2004, at 10:22 AM, Matt Newville wrote:
>
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> I think you can get polyimide thicker than 175 microns. It may not
>> go as Kapton, but maybe as Cirlex or Torlon or something else.  I
>> think goodfellow.com carries these in millimeter thick sheets and
>> rods, and that they're still radiation and heat resistant.
>> Goodfellow tends to be pricey, but has excellent information on
>> thermal and mechanical properties.
>>
>> Using MgO, sapphire, or even diamond might be reasonable too.
>>
>> --Matt
>>
>> PS: I have a working build of PGPLOT with all of Aquaterm, X11,
>>     Postscript, and Png devices on Mac OS X.  I'm still tweaking
>>     the makefile so that it links directly to the png objects to
>>     avoid possible conflicts with dynamic png and zlib libraries,
>>     but I should have a working ifeffit binary using this in a
>>     matter of days, and then be ready to tweak horae's Makefile.PL
>>     so that horae_update works.

Dr. Paul Fons
Senior Researcher
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science & Technology
METI
Center for Applied Near-Field Optics Research (CANFOR)
AIST Central 4, Higashi 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Ibaraki JAPAN 305-8568

tel. +81-298-61-5636
fax. +81-298-61-2939