[Ifeffit] k range

Scott Calvin scalvin at slc.edu
Tue Apr 27 17:32:03 CDT 2004

I have an addition to Shelly's "practical" advice:

2e) Try the fit at different k-weights. (If you were fitting at multiple
k-weight simultaneously, try one k-weight at a time.) In my experience,
with a reasonable k-range you may find the statistical quality of your fit
(r-factor, chi-square) changes markedly, but the fitted parameters should
not drift outside of the ranges defined by their uncertainties. If they do,
it is either a sign that you should reduce the k-range or that you have a
tenuous and unstable fit that should be viewed with considerable skepticism.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College