[Ifeffit] Minor bugs in the new versions

Schmithals schmithals at hmi.de
Tue Apr 27 11:09:16 CDT 2004

Dear Bruce,

I installed the new versions of the programs. Many thanks for your
ongoing work and especially for the new feature of exporting parameter
values in Athena.
While working with the new versions I listed the problems that I still
ran over (all just minor problems that are not critical or for which I
figured out a workaround). Some of the bugs have already been mentioned,
but I was not sure if they should already be fixed with this release -
if not please just ignore these points. Hope it helps to improve the
software. My System is Win2000.

Artemis 0.7.003
- After the update the path to the stash-folder is set to the default
path: "c:\Program Files\Ifeffit\horae\stash" although my Ifeffit is
installed at "c:\Programme\Ifeffit" and previously the stash folder was
"c:\Programme\Ifeffit\horae\stash". Is it possible to set the stash
folder automatically to the subfolder in the installation directory?
Obviously, this should be corrected via: Options | General | Workspace.
But Artemis will not let me do that. I included the messages that
Artemis gives when I change the path and press "Save changes to future
sessions" and "return to main window". In the latter case Artemis will
ask if I want to keep changes for future sessions (obviously it
recognizes that changes have not been saved) but will not return to the
main program (and not change the path).
However, it does affect working with Artemis in any other way (as far as
I can tell).
- Atoms potential cards (in feff.inp) is sometimes wrong. (work-around:
enlarge r_max in atoms.inp)
- Artemis will stumple if I try to import 30 paths (my default) but feff
generated less than that (no paths will be loaded and and error message
generated, see ARTEMIS Import.TRAP).
- If I run feff, import 30 paths and then do that a second time, Artemis
does not delete the old entries in the "data&paths"-window but just
append the new entries with names "feff0001.dat:2" etc., is that the
intended behaviour? The problem is that if I decrease r_max in feff.inp
before doing the second run (to a value so that feff produces less than
30 path-files) Artemis will generate error messages when trying to plot
the first path entries (obviously because they dont exist anymore).
- Function "discard this dataset" does not delete the main folder
"data0.feff.0". Therefore, after deleting a few FEFF-datasets I end up
with a lot of folders "data0.feff.x", because the empty ones are not
reused. The function also does not delete the corresponding parameter
values (which is probably better than deleting them).
- Set-up of Atoms/Feff-page before loading a datafile will lead to
errors (already discussed)

Athena 0.8.027
- Athena does not start when Artemis is running. Two new Windows will
show up for a moment in the taskbar and disappear again, no error logs
are written to the stash-folder. No problems occur if Artemis is not
running. Also Artemis will not start when Athena is running.
- When using the export function via "File | Save marked groups as data"
Athena will state that I may not export more than 15 datafiles. But it
also produces errors with less files: it seems that the maximum line
width is limited to 259 characters. The line with the names of the
datagroups is usually longer and therefore gets truncated.
- Access to last opened files is not released: it is not possible to
rename/delete project files that just have been closed or data files
that just have been read in. This is possible after a new project file
is opened or a new data file imported.
- Sometimes the selection of groups gets faulty: when clicking on one of
the groups it will not be highlighted. Instead the previously selected
group will be redisplayed (and remains highlighted). Sometimes a
completly different group will be highlighted and displayed. Closing and
reopening will not solve the problem, but restarting of Athena does. I
could not figure out how to reproduce this error and nothing is written
to the stash-folder.
- Athena sometimes resizes the width of the right panel (Data groups) by
itself. E.g. when exporting data via "File | Save chi(R)" the window
becomes wider and gets small again when clicking on a datagroup
afterwards (but not always ?!).

Atoms ?
- I am not sure about the version number because "Help"|"About Atoms"
displays "left" (?!) instead of version number.
- The "Browse Space Groups" will still invoke the browser only once.

Hephaestus 0.01
- Multiple choosing of Settings | Energies will TOGGLE between display
in energies/wavelengths (instead of just keeping displaying in terms of
energy). Moreover, the checkmark in the Settings-Dialog will stay at
"Energies", even when displaying in wavelengts. Despite of this I would
propose to display the unit on the main page anyway.
- On my machine the checkmarks are hard to recognize as they only shown
up as two tiny red dots. But they will show up as checkmarks when I
hover over them with the mouse. (This behaviour is common to all the
programs, also in previous versions).

I also have some general question:
- Is it possible to do an offline installation on a computer not
connected to the internet? (e.g. by manually loading the updates-files
and changing "update_site" in updater.ini)
- Is there a way in Athena to display the raw data of a group as a text
file? Athena will not allow to edit this data via "Edit | Edit data as
text". I only had the idea of saving the group and looking at the
resulting text file.
- This raised another point: if I compare the file I read into Athena
with the file I exported then I notice that they have a different
scaling (abszissae values) - does Athena automatically change the
scaling when importing data files? I also noticed that when exporting
multiple groups then all groups are scaled to the same abszissae values
which is not the case when I export them separately.

Regards,
Gerrit