[Ifeffit] RE: Ifeffit Digest, Vol 14, Issue 23

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Tue Apr 27 10:40:38 CDT 2004

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 11:11 am, Aria wrote:
> Hi, Bruce
>
> For the first question, after I answered 'yes'. Artemis will run
> well without problems. But after running fits for four (sometimes
> even three) times, it will crash again. And the next cycle begins.
>
> As for reproducible, only after I finished the updates, it will
> crash every four or three fits, no matter what fits I am
> running. The fits paths included might be around 100.
>
> By the way, I did not notice if Artemis posts a message or not
> before. But this time, it do pop up a message at the first time I
> run the fit (not at the time it crashes). This is the message I got:
> # This file created at 11:01:54 on 27 April, 2004
> # using Windows XP, perl 5.006001, Tk 800.024, and Ifeffit 1.2.5
> The following message was trapped by Artemis on a SIGWARN:
>
> ArtemiswarnC:\Program Files\Ifeffit\horae\stash\ARTEMIS.TRAPCODE(0x3525f58)
> at artemis line 1491
> 	main::__ANON__('Tk::Error: Can\'t locate utf8.pm in @INC (@INC
> contains: C:\DOCU...') called at blib\lib\Tk.pm (autosplit into
> blib\lib\auto\Tk\Error.al) line 402
> 	Tk::Error('MainWindow=HASH(0x394d430)', 'Can\'t locate utf8.pm in
> @INC (@INC contains: C:\DOCUME~1\VINCEH...', '[\&main::__ANON__]', '(menu
> invoke)') called at /PerlApp/Tk.pm line 340
> 	eval {...} called at /PerlApp/Tk.pm line 340
> 	Tk::MainLoop() called at artemis line 1627

The information you sent me suggests a problem in trying to handle
text that uses non-ascii characters.  Unfortunately the trap file
artemis generated does not give me enough information to make a good
guess as to the problem, but I have a guess.

Are you using non-ascii characters (which is almost, but not quite,
the same thing as characters that are not found on a normal english
keyboard) in any of your data files, your feff or atoms input files,
in any of your parameters, in the project journal, or on the
properties page?  This is the kind of thing that would happen if a
non-native english speaker wanted to use text in his or her own
language in one of the places I asked about.  If the text you use does
not have an ascii representation and requires use of unicode, that
might make trouble for Artemis.

It is surely a reasonable thing to want to make notes in a data file
header or artemis' journal using one's own language.  Indeed, that is
so important that I should make sure that Artemis allows that.

Of course, that might not be the problem at all.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Aria, can you send me a project file that will demonstrate this
problem along with explicit instructions for how to make it happen?

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source