[Ifeffit] Fink for Mac OS X and debian for Linux (was: new versions of my programs)

Jeff Terry terryj at iit.edu
Mon Apr 19 16:11:17 CDT 2004

Hi Bruce,

Fink is a very nice package when it is working. Unfortunately, it is
not always working.
Fink was broken for a significant portion of time during the 10.2 to
10.3 OS upgrade.
Could have been 10.1 to 10.2, lost in the fog of time. Anyway, forcing
non-command line
savvy mac users to synchronize fink, fortran compilers, perl versions,
especially as another
OS upgrade cycle is likely approaching seems problematic to me.

It's also so unmac-like to force users to compile from scratch.

> I would STRONGLY encourage the mac crowd here on the list to consider
> the approach that Matt suggests.  It does mean that Mac users would
> have to get Fink up and running on their computers (and get G77, etc
> working), and that would certainly increase the height of the
> potential barrier for the not-so-computer-savvy Mac user.
>
> That just seems like the best way to go.  But what do I know about the
> Macintosh world -- I'm just a numbskull linux user. ;-)

Well, nobody's perfect ;-)

Jeff