[Ifeffit] Re: A question about the new Artemis version

Scott Calvin scalvin at slc.edu
Tue Apr 6 17:05:22 CDT 2004

Hi,

Sean (my student) just had the same thing happen. It doesn't look like it
trapped anything when the problem occurred, but it did fail to create the
temporary folders that Artemis keeps the FEFF calculation in while running.
Sean came up with a simple fix that seems to have done the trick for us:

1) Point the data files back where they belong.

2) Try to run the fit. Artemis/IFEFFIT will complain (under the "messages"
pallet) that it can't find any of your paths, and it will tell you the
folder it looked for them in. Note the name of that folder! It will be
something like Ifeffit\horae\stash\artemis.project.17\data0.feff1.

3) Create a folder of the appropriate name in the appropriate location.

4) Copy the proper feff files back into it (assuming you have them
somewhere else; otherwise rerun FEFF and then copy them in).

5) Save the project and quit Artemis (not sure if you have to run a fit
once first).

6) The project should now work normally when you reopen Artemis.

Hopefully this also gives Bruce a clue as to what causes the problem. Since
those folders are clearly temporary folders used while the project is
running, presumably this kind of problem might be caused by a crash at just
the wrong moment, perhaps when Artemis was doing some bookkeeping with
those folders?

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College