[Ifeffit] Feff6l on Windows

Peter Pfalzer peter.pfalzer at physik.uni-augsburg.de
Mon Sep 29 10:14:13 CDT 2003

Hi Matt,

> Since there were questions about (and problems with) the automatic
> updater, I have not yet made this an 'update'.  I'd like to hear
> some feedback (either here or by private email) on how to deal with
> such small changes.  Forcing people to downlod an install another
> 28Mb setup.exe seems sort of silly.  Some of the options I see are:
>   1. assume the updater is working for most people, and just make
>      this an automatic update.
>   2. scrap the automatic updater altogether, and just make this a
>      new Ifeffit version.
>   3. make a separate installer for Feff6L.

please don't scrap the updater!!!
I'm not sure if I was the only one having trouble with the updater - as
far as I remember, there was no "third party response" to our
communication via the list.
I'm still using the updater 1) within my batch files to get notified of
available updates and 2) without the batch files to install the updates.
This worked just fine for the first update and would be a very cute way
having ifeffit & friends up to date without downloading the complete
installer every time. I would really appreciate if you kept the updater
project alive!
In short: For me it's option 1: assume the updater is working and make
an automatic update!

Thanks a lot,
Peter

Peter Pfalzer
Universitaet Augsburg                    Tel: +49-821-598-3215
Lehrstuhl fuer Experimentalphysik II     Fax: +49-821-598-3411
Universitaetsstr. 1
D-86135 Augsburg
Germany                   Peter.Pfalzer at physik.uni-augsburg.de