[Ifeffit] IFEFFIT error messages

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Fri Sep 26 07:16:28 CDT 2003

On Thursday 25 September 2003 07:18 pm, SCalvin100 at aol.com wrote:

> Does Artemis somewhere provide any clue as to where the error was
> found when it says "Fit aborted due to errors in parameters and math
> expressions"? FEFFIT used to highlight the last line successfully
> read, which was helpful for finding unbalanced parentheses and the
> like. But I don't see an equivalent message here.

I had to go peruse the code to refresh my memory about why Artemis
reports that error message.  It seems there are two situations where
this message turns up.  One is when math expressions have unbalanced
parentheses, the other is when Artemis finds discrepancies between the
guess, set, and def parameters and the math expressions for the path
parameters.  One such discrepancies is an unused guess or def
parameter; another is the use of a parameter in a math expression
without defining it as a guess, def, or set.

When I go through the project looking for mismatched parens or for
discrepancies in the parameters, I am careful to record every such
problem.  That's good.  Unfortunately, it seems that, when mismatched
parens are found, Artemis complains and aborts the fit without telling
the user where it found the mismatch.

So the bottom line is that Scott is asking me to fix a silly bug,
which I will gladly do.

Regards,

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 222
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 5947
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 1697

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source