[Ifeffit] Tk804.025_beta

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 14 10:21:47 CDT 2003

Hi Shelly, Guoqiang,

Today, Shelly wrote:
> On this same subject, RedHat 9.0 has a broken perl installation.
> The environmental language variable is set incorrectly.  The
> result is a similar error message.  Using tcsh type "echo $LANG"
> the result should be "lang_us". You can set this variable by
> typing "setenv LANG lang_us".
> www.linuxforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1481&view=new Gives
> some more details.
>
> I just recently installed all of these same packages on a new
> RedHat 9.0 system.  -This was the only bump that I ran into.

I've seen the same problem on RedHat systems.  Setting LANG to C or
en_US also works.  It also seems important to start from a
completely fresh perl-Tk directory:  The simplest thing to do is
remove the Tk800.* source directory completely and start over:
   export LANG=C   # in bash. Use   'setenv LANG C' for tcsh
   rm -rf Tk800.025
   tar xvzf Tk-800.025.tar.gz
   cd Tk800.025
   perl Makefile.PL
   make
   make install

After setting LANG, this should also work:
   perl -MCPAN -e shell
   cpan>install Tk

Adding 'export LANG=C' or the equivalent in a startup file also
seems to help other applications, including Adobe's acroread.