[Ifeffit] 30 element detector data in athena

Carlo U. Segre segre at iit.edu
Mon Oct 6 18:45:13 CDT 2003

Yes, this is what I have observed.  I do not get crashes but since our MED
files are 78 columns (for reasons not relevant to this discussion), our
splitting apart approach has worked well.

Carlo

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Matt Newville wrote:

> Hi Vivek, Carlo, Bruce, Everyone,
>
> On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Carlo U. Segre wrote:
> > Athena does not handle that many columns gracefully.  We use a
> > Python program to split these data up into one file for each of
> > the elements and then work from there.
>
> Oops, I was wrong earlier.  In fact, I usually use ifeffit to read
> files with many columns or beamline-specific software to add columns
> together.  But the file at
>   http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/contrib/MED_FILES/mn_x.001
>
> is an example of a multi-element detector file that can be read
> directly with ifeffit.  It has 56 columns, and lines that are 830+
> characters long.  Ifeffit can see all columns with
>  read_data(mn_x.001, group=mn)
>
> The file
>   http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/contrib/MED_FILES/x.001
>
> is not EXAFS data, but has 73 columns, and lines with 1090+ characters.
> Ifeffit reads it fine.
>
> But, Carlo is right: athena does not handle that many columns.  In
> fact, it shows "only" the first 35 in its data-column interface for
> these files, though the file viewer shows the full line length.  I
> suspect that Bruce never noticed this.
>
> I don't know if that was the original problem, but I thought I'd try
> to clear up the confusion.
>
> --Matt

Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics
Illinois Institute of Technology
Voice: 312.567.3498            Fax: 312.567.3494
segre at agni.phys.iit.edu    http://www.iit.edu/~segre