[Ifeffit] 30 element detector data in athena

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 6 17:35:06 CDT 2003

Hi Vivek, Carlo, Bruce, Everyone,

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Carlo U. Segre wrote:
> Athena does not handle that many columns gracefully.  We use a
> Python program to split these data up into one file for each of
> the elements and then work from there.

Oops, I was wrong earlier.  In fact, I usually use ifeffit to read
files with many columns or beamline-specific software to add columns
together.  But the file at
  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/contrib/MED_FILES/mn_x.001

is an example of a multi-element detector file that can be read
directly with ifeffit.  It has 56 columns, and lines that are 830+
characters long.  Ifeffit can see all columns with
 read_data(mn_x.001, group=mn)

The file
  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/contrib/MED_FILES/x.001

is not EXAFS data, but has 73 columns, and lines with 1090+ characters.
Ifeffit reads it fine.

But, Carlo is right: athena does not handle that many columns.  In
fact, it shows "only" the first 35 in its data-column interface for
these files, though the file viewer shows the full line length.  I
suspect that Bruce never noticed this.

I don't know if that was the original problem, but I thought I'd try
to clear up the confusion.