[Ifeffit] 30 element detector data in athena

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 6 16:25:33 CDT 2003

Hi Vivek,

> Hi Matt, Bruce..
>
> Athena could not open files from NSLS beamline X10C vax machine which has
> data in the form of .XFS. So, I converted it to *.dat and made it look like
> a dat file from NSLS beamline X 11a. Athena doesnot give me any prompt for
> incompatability but it simply crashes and closes. The data I have is from a
> 13 element detector, so there are about 38 columns of data. I am not sure
> if this would make Athena crash. If So, do you have any suggestions to
> overcome this.

Data from other beamlines with multi-element detectors work OK... I
sometimes have data files with up to 60+ columns and Ifeffit/athena
seems to do OK.  My guess is that it's a line-ending issue or some
other issue with translation from the vax.

If you're using athena on Windows, try opening one of the files in
Notepad. (Wordpad hides line-endings).  If you can read the file
sensibly with Notepad, it should be OK for athena.  Also, check for
non-ASCII characters -- things that look like "^@^@^@" and so on.

--Matt

PS:  can you send a file that causes the crash?