[Ifeffit] new user contributions page

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Wed Nov 26 14:29:58 CST 2003

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 02:49 pm, Matt Newville wrote:
> Such things are certainly possible:  I think I could set something
> like this on our web server.  If so, I'd hope to dedicate it to XAFS
> in general rather than just Athena/Artemis/Ifeffit.  It might be
> nice to coordinate this with the International XAFS Society.
>
> Is this worth doing??  Would people take advantage of it?

A wiki is definately an excellent tool for documentation.

I think a site using Slash (the engine used by slashdot.org and other
sites) or some similar discussion and content management system would
be an excellent idea and could serve most every function currently
served by the IXS, but in a much more dynamic and interactive fashion.

Slash can have many topics, so one could imagine WinXAS and GNXAS
topics as well as Ifeffit, Feff, and general XAS topics.  It's
configurable for the user, so each person can look at as many or as
few topics as he finds interesting.  Content can be presented and
dicussions can be carried out.  It would really be quite a remarkable
resource for the XAS community.

Of course, I think it would be nice if someone other than Matt or I
volunteered to set up and administer a discussion and content
management system ......

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 222
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 5947
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 1697

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source