[Ifeffit] new user contributions page

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 26 13:49:51 CST 2003

Hi Bruce and Everyone,

> I have started a page of user contributed materials.  Here's the URL:
>
>   http://leonardo.phys.washington.edu/~ravel/software/exafs/contrib.html
>
> Scott's tutorial is there.
>
> I'd certainly enjoy having more things to put on that page....

First, thanks for the contribution, Scott!  That's really great.

Another approach might be to make a set of web pages that many users
could directly contribute to, using a wiki or other web-based
content-management software that doesn't require direct intervention
to the web-server machine (that is, content is edited and saved
solely through web pages).  This could have the potential advantages
of letting Scott (and/or anyone else) update tutorials and docs at
their discretion and of allowing one to make contributions from an
internet cafe in Nepal (without loss of generality!).

Such things are certainly possible:  I think I could set something
like this on our web server.  If so, I'd hope to dedicate it to XAFS
in general rather than just Athena/Artemis/Ifeffit.  It might be
nice to coordinate this with the International XAFS Society.

Is this worth doing??  Would people take advantage of it?