[Ifeffit] Re: a question about EXAFS fitting result

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Wed Nov 12 07:43:26 CST 2003

On Tuesday 11 November 2003 04:21 pm, Steven Sangyun Lim wrote:
> I am analyzing cobalt. As I spoke with you before, I got the
> coordination number of cobalt foil as around 9 instead of 12. You
> explained me why it can happen. What I want to know is If we got
> coordination number as 5 for a sample we are interested in and got
> the cobalt foil coordination number as 9, can I proportionally
> correct the value? (Consider 9 as 12 and multiply 5 by the ratio) Or
> just disregard the foil's coordination number? Could you please let
> me know what would be the better way to get the correct value?

Steven,

This is the sort of question for which we created the mailing list, so
I am forwarding it and my brief answer there.  If you are not already
subscribed, you might find it useful to do so.

The simple answer is "probably".  The point of measuring a standard
under identical conditions to the sample is to recognize any
systematic effects in the measurement, the smaple, the detectors, or
the theory.  If all else besides the sample is equal, then you can
probably make the argument you suggest above.  It will be, of course,
incumbant upon you to convince your reader that what you did was
reasonable when you publish.  You most certainly CANNOT cite "Bruce
Ravel, private communication" as your justification!!!

That said, if you want more specific help from the crowd on the
mailing list, you may wish to provide some more specifics about the
details of your problem.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 222
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 5947
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 1697

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source