[Ifeffit] Regarding IFEFFIT updates and WIN98

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 3 15:13:47 CST 2003

Hi Kristine,

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 k-kupiecki at northwestern.edu wrote:

> But I'm still getting this IFEFFIT prompt for updates even though I have
> the updated version of everything....
>
> I'm just wondering if there is a way for me to turn that off....

Uh, yeah sorry (to you and all other Windows users) about the broken
updater.   We'll get it working eventually.

To turn off the automatic updating, open the file
  C:\Program Files\Ifeffit\updates\update.dat
(or where ever you install Ifeffit) in wordpad or notepad, and
make the file say

002

on the first line of the file (only the first line of this file is
read).  This is the number of the "current update", which is
currently 2.  If you set this number to 999, you could be assured
that updates will never happen.