[Ifeffit] Getting started in OS X...

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Thu May 29 01:10:07 CDT 2003

It is not all *that* difficult to get things running on the Macintosh.
The main problem from my perspective is keeping things up-to-date.  I
could make a binary installer (it is not really that hard), but there
are probably several hundred files that need to be installed and
keeping this working long term sounds like a potentially time consuming
project.  I was thinking of a two part installation process:

1. install the apple developer CD contents (included with 10.2)
2. download from www.apple.com, Apple's installer for X11 (binary
installer)
3. install the fink binary installer
4. (on the command line) type "fink install horae"

    If I follow up on this (I was hoping to talk to Matt and Bruce about
this at XAFS 12), all I would have to maintain is a file that tells
your computer how to compile horae and ifeffit -- this is easy as I
already do it on my Mac myself.  Within fink (an installation package
manager that connects to a remote server for the latest versions
automagically), I could ensure that all of the packages are compatible
with each other, and that the latest versions are being used.  fink
would automatically install a fortran compiler (useful for other things
too) as well as all of the latest versions of the relevant libraries
(e.g. pgplot, python) all with the input show on line four above.
    My main worry about a binary installer is that since *I* am using
fink for many items, if I *were* to make a binary installer, I might
very well clobber (overwrite) part of a horae users fink installation.
This is bad in two ways.  The binary install might very well destroy
the users fink installation and since the fink database (with a binary
installer) wouldn't know anything about my files, running fink might
very well destroy horae/ifeffit.  If there is enough interest, I might
give it a shot, but this would be only for people who don't use fink.

		Any thoughts?

Paul Fons, Ph.D.
Senior Staff Researcher
Photonics Institute
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science & Technology
Tsukuba, JAPAN 305-8568
email: paul-fons at aist.go.jp
tel. +81-298-61-5636 fax: +81-298-61-5615

The lines below are in Japanese
主任研究官 ポール・フォンス
産業技術総合研究所
光技術研究部門