[Ifeffit] Windows Installer for Ifeffit 1.2.0

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Sat May 17 14:02:19 CDT 2003

Hmmm... I too am confused by what Mark saw.  I thought that the new
installer was essentially the one I built the other day using the
latest versions of athena and artemis.  Could you possibly have gotten
confused by an old version of the installer lying around on your
computer?

> > I politely ask, which of these ideas is winning and when can
> > windows users hope for some new versions of the Ravel-ware.
>
> I think we haven't figured this out yet.

I'm with Matt.  In fairness to he and Sam and I, this whole notion of
branching into stable and development versions is still less than a
week old.  We need to define what stable is before we can consider
branching.

In any case, either you got confused updating or we got confused
building the installer.  It *was* our intention that the new installer
have Athena 0.8.019 and Artemis 0.6.004.

> Is it OK to download ifeffit-1.2.0.exe as the basic installer, and
> then install whatever updates to athena/artemis may exist on top of
> that?  The updates could use an installer that asked (or tried to
> figure out) where ifeffit was installed, but that's up to Bruce.

I thought that people were, by and large, happy with the solution of
dropping new athena & artemis exes on top of the old ones rather than
downloading the 30MB installer every time I make an update.  Since I
update much more frequently that Matt updates the library, that seemed
sensible and not too difficult.

It has occured to me that I should write a little program that could
be installed to the Start menu that checks to see if new versions are
available and downloads them if they are.  That shouldn't be too
difficult, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

> The latest 'Ravelware' updates could also be on Sourceforge, but
> that's up to Bruce too.

That's my intention.  But again, the SourceForge solution has been in
place a very short time so far ...

> Alternatively, we can try to convince someone (perhaps Bruce)
> to generate a new windows installer for ifeffit-1.2.0XXX.exe
> every time the applications are updated, and uploading the
> latest to Sourceforge.

I could be convinced, but, for most of my updates, it is not really
necessary to download the whole enchilada.  It seems that a Windows
updater for my software should be quite enough.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 222
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 5947
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 1697

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b, X24c, U4b
 National Synchrotron Light Source