[Ifeffit] Athena - plotting limits

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Thu May 15 07:25:18 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 04:32 pm, Carlo U. Segre wrote:

> Why does Athena only plot from 0-15 in k-space even though there is data
> beyond that.
>
> Now that I look back at the mu(E) plots, they are restricted in energy
> too.
>
> I understand that we would normally not use data to far beyond k=15 but
it
> still might be nice to see it.
>
> Perhaps, I am just not seeing some kind of parameter that could be set?

Hi Carlo and everyone else.

Take a look at this screenshot of Athena:

http://leonardo.phys.washington.edu/~ravel/software/exafs/images/athena/athena.png

See the two little text boxes in the lower right hand corner.  Those
determine the extent of the plot.  The main features of a plot --
range and which part of the function to plot -- is determined by the
widgets in the little tabs labeled E, k, R, and q.

In the shot shown, I have just made an energy plot, so the energy tab
is showing.  I am plotting 30 volts below and 60 volts above the
edge.  When I plot a single group using the red plot buttons, I will
plot the data and the background because those two red indicators are
selected.  When I plot all the marked groups, I will plot normalized
data because that purple indicator is selected.  The colors of the
indicators are intended to suggest a connection with the red and
purple plot buttons.

The tabs for the other three spaces are not shown, but they work the
same way.  There are text boxes at the bottom for setting the extent
of the plot and there are red and purple indicators appropriate to the
kind of function plotted.

I am not 100% wedded to this system of setting plotting parameters,
but I like it a lot becase it allows you to maintain parameters for
all 4 spaces in parallel and to maintain separate parameters for
single and marked group plots.

The default ranges are [-200:800] in energy, [0:15] in k, [0:6] in R,
and [0:15] in q.  These can be changed as needed and the values are
saved into project files.

If you want a more permanent solution, edit the ~/.horae/athenarc file
(unix, linux, OSX) or the C:\Program Files\Ifeffit\horae\athena.ini
file (Windows).  Look for the entries Xmin and Xmax (X = e, k, r, or
q) in the [plot] section and edit their values as you please.  One of
these days I intend to write a graphical configuration tool, but for
now you have to edit the initialization file by hand.

HTH,

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 222
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 5947
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 1697

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b, X24c, U4b
 National Synchrotron Light Source