[Ifeffit] fourier transforms and k grids

Peter Pfalzer peter.pfalzer at physik.uni-augsburg.de
Tue Mar 11 03:59:02 CST 2003

Dear Ifeffit Users,

I changed to iFeffit recently and like the improved functionality very much.
During my test runs I experienced some strange behaviour of the fft functions
when using a non-standard k grid.

I take from the Ifeffit documentation:
- that all the functions performing fourier transforms should yield the same
results (given the same parameters as input, of course).
Specifically: I understand that fftf() and feffit() both compute ffts from k to R
space for the chi data given with the "real=..." and "chi=..." parameters,
respectively.
- that these functions all use a k grid starting from 0 and having a grid width
of 0.05.
- that the non-standard k-grid of my data is automatically interpolated to the
required k grid whenever the "k=..." parameter is set. This is especially true
for the fftf() function as well as for the feffit() function.

If these assumptions are right, I do not understand the results of the forward
fft of the data array performed by the feffit() command.
The fft by feffit() looks like the fft by fftf() when the k array is NOT defined.

Is this behaviour correct? Does it affect the fit? Am I making a silly beginners
mistake? Is this a bug?

Thanks for your help!
Peter

PS: I am using Ifeffit 1.0076 with the G.I.feffit GUI 0.9 on a Win98SE system.
I have attached a Ifeffit input file that tests these differences.
Peter Pfalzer
Universitaet Augsburg                    Tel: +49-821-598-3215
Lehrstuhl fuer Experimentalphysik II     Fax: +49-821-598-3411
Universitaetsstr. 1
D-86135 Augsburg
Germany                   Peter.Pfalzer at physik.uni-augsburg.de