[Ifeffit] Re: debian packages

Carlo U. Segre segre at iit.edu
Wed Mar 5 09:56:07 CST 2003

I shall certainly do that once I figure out the entire process.  The next
step form me now is to figure out how to make horae and Atoms packages.

Carlo

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Bruce Ravel wrote:

> Hi Carlo,
>
> At the risk of being the obnoxious guy who's always chock-full of
> ideas for work that other people can do ....
>
> I'd like to recommend that, once you are happy with your .debs, you do
> a bit more work.  Ifeffit and my codes are, as you well know, ongoing
> and frequently updated projects.  The problem with any given .deb (or
> .rpm or whatever) is that it is prone to fall out of date rather
> quickly.  I would strongly encourage you to automate *fully* the
> process of building your .debs.
>
> Both Matt and I put our source packages in predictable places and
> under predictable names.  For example, the ifeffit tarball is always
> in http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/src/ and is always called
> "ifeffit-X.XXXX.tar.gz", where X.XXXX is the version number.  I do the
> similar thing with the horae tarballs.
>
> You could have a cron job that checks the web sites every night to see
> if the tarballs have been updated (easy to do since the tarballs
> follow well-defined naming conventions).  If they have been, then have
> the cron job
>  1. download the latest
>  2. build the .deb from the tarball
>  3. upload the new .deb to a web site
> and perhaps
>  4. send an short, auto-generated note to the mailing list saying that
>     the new .deb is in place
>
> I think you would appreciate having done the work of automation during
> one of those weeks where someone finds a bug in my code a few hours
> after I make a new release (it's happened more than once ;-), and I
> make a new release the next day.
>
> I would, unsurprisingly, make the same suggstion of anyone else out
> there in ifeffit-land who wants to make, say, Red Hat .rpms or Fink
> .debs or whatever.

Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics
Associate Dean for Research, Armour College
Illinois Institute of Technology
Voice: 312.567.3498            Fax: 312.567.3494
Carlo.Segre at iit.edu    http://www.iit.edu/~segre