[Ifeffit] XANES

John J. Rehr jjr at leonardo.phys.washington.edu
Tue Mar 4 22:21:36 CST 2003

Hi Matt,

 It's not clear to me that FEFF has to be changed at all to get a tensor
XANES calculation going. The code simply has to be rerun a few times with
different input. Anyway, The FEFF8.2 license now allows users to make changes
that improve input/output.

 Also various modules of FEFF are now redistributable in order to
facilitate user developments in response to previous suggestions
from Matt and Bruce. This seems to be a good way to go, since much
of FEFF is an engine that shouldn't be messed with. Also much of
FEFF6 is now distributed with IFEFFIT. These EXAFS parts of the code are
very stable/reliable. It doesn't seem desirable to me to freely distribute
more recent parts that are less well developed. On the other hand we will
and do work with various collaborators on various code developments.

 I'd like to hear from other users/developers of their concerns
about the FEFF license. Funds from the license fee do go to
the UWOTT to support the FEFF project (equipment supplies, travel
etc.).

 John