[Ifeffit] ldd /usr/local/bin/ifeffit ldd: /lib/ld-linux.so.2 exited with unknown exit code (139)

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Tue Mar 4 13:16:36 CST 2003

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 02:10 pm, Jacques Roux wrote:
> This is a short report of various successful installations of ifeffit (and
> companion programs athena, artemis etc...) on linux boxes running
> Mandrake 8.1 8.2 and 9.0. However I would like to report one nagging failure
> which is summarized in the subject line of the message. On my office DELL
> under Linux Mandrake 9.0 ifeffit core dump and ldd issues the rather terse
> error message "unknown exit code (139)". The very same code runs fine and
> (ldd gives a meaningfull answer!) on other machines running the very same
> version of linux (including gcc, ld, glib etc...). I checked on google and
> found other people running into very similar problem (OK on one machine,
> wrong on the other). I tried to recompile ifeffit.f using --static but I
> could not get the static version of libX11 so for the time being I gave up.
> BTW it is not too bad as I can use the software on the same computer booting
> an older version (mdk 8.1) and at home on a 9.0 !
> I hope this information may be useful to someone sometime ?

Jacques,

Is it really the case that if you do a full install mdk 9.0 fresh off
of the disks on one computer, ifeffit works, but on another computer
it fails?  One possibility is that the second computer has faulty
memory.  Or very little.  How much memory does the problematic mdk 9.0
box have?

How about if you compile something else written in fortran -- perhaps
feff?  Does it segfault and issue complaint #139 from ldd?  How about
something written in C that you compile yourself?  (Rather than
installing from an rpm, that is.)

How about if you configure ifeffit with the --with-arraysize=small
flag?

Also in my efforts to google the problem, I noticed that Carlo once
asked the same question of a debian mailing list.  The answer he got
then was sub-useful, but perhaps he has some insight?

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 222
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 5947
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 1697

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b, X24c, U4b
 National Synchrotron Light Source