[Ifeffit] Athena 0.8.014

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 4 12:51:00 CST 2003

Carlo,

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Carlo U. Segre wrote:

> Matt:
>
> Yes, I agree and using the --with-pgplot=/usr/lib/pgplot5/
> option fixes things.  The only confusion I have is why version 1.0075a
> seemed to work correctly.  Oh, well.

I'm a little confused about what works and what doesn't. You said
  ./configure  ; make ; make install

made executables could not find the PGPLOT library supplied by
Debian.  You did not say what './configure' reported it would use
for PGPLOT.  Now you seem to be saying that

  ./configure --with-pgplot=/usr/lib/pgplot5
  make install

works. Is that correct?

The script used by configure to look for PGPLOT installations
could be changed to look for /usr/local/pgplot5 if that's where
Debian puts it.  It's possible that this changed betweeen 1.0075
and 1.0076 -- I did change some of these scripts.  To make this
change, I would have to hear where Debian puts PGPLOT.

PGPLOT_install works on linux, and I'm willing to try to get it
to work on any system.  But it's very difficult to ensure that a
PGPLOT binary made by someone else will work with Ifeffit, and I
have no idea what's in the Debian PGPLOT package.  If it happens
to work, that's great, but I really can't support it.