[Ifeffit] ldd /usr/local/bin/ifeffit ldd: /lib/ld-linux.so.2 exited with unknown exit code (139)

Jacques Roux jroux at cnrs-orleans.fr
Tue Mar 4 13:10:45 CST 2003

This is a short report of various successful installations of ifeffit (and
companion programs athena, artemis etc...) on linux boxes running
Mandrake 8.1 8.2 and 9.0. However I would like to report one nagging failure
which is summarized in the subject line of the message. On my office DELL
under Linux Mandrake 9.0 ifeffit core dump and ldd issues the rather terse
error message "unknown exit code (139)". The very same code runs fine and
(ldd gives a meaningfull answer!) on other machines running the very same
version of linux (including gcc, ld, glib etc...). I checked on google and
found other people running into very similar problem (OK on one machine,
wrong on the other). I tried to recompile ifeffit.f using --static but I
could not get the static version of libX11 so for the time being I gave up.
BTW it is not too bad as I can use the software on the same computer booting
an older version (mdk 8.1) and at home on a 9.0 !
I hope this information may be useful to someone sometime ?
--
J. Roux,
CNRS-Institut des Sciences de la Terre