[Ifeffit] Athena 0.8.014

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Tue Mar 4 08:11:31 CST 2003

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 01:47 am, Carlo U. Segre wrote:
> Bruce:
>
> Now I am getting the runtime problems that I reported in January again.

  <<snip>>

> When I try to run athena I get

> Can't load '/usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.1/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.so' for module
> Ifeffit: /usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.1/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.so: undefined
> symbol: pgqndt_
> at /usr/lib/perl/5.6.1/DynaLoader.pm line 202.
>  at /usr/local/bin/athena line 55
> Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/bin/athena line 55.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/bin/athena line 63.
>
> When I try to run gifeffit I get

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/bin/gifeffit", line 2, in ?
>     import GIFeffit, sys
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages/Ifeffit/GIFeffit.py", line 27, in ?
>     from   Ifeffit import Ifeffit
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.py", line 46, in ?
>     import _ifeffit, types, cmd, os, sys
> ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages/Ifeffit/_ifeffit.so:
> undefined symbol: pgqndt_
>
> Note that the problem seems to be with the symbol "pgqndt_" in both cases
> and I believe that this has to do with ifeffit (and pgplot?).

If the error message complains about a missing symbol beginning with
"pg", then the problem is almost certainly that either (1) pgplot has
not been installed or (2) ifeffit failed to figure out where pgplot
was at the "./configure" step of the ifeffit installation.

What you need to do is either (1) install pgplot again, paying close
attention to where it gets installed or (2) figure out where pgplot
is, in fact, installed on your system.  FWIW, on my computer, pgplot
is in /usr/local/pgplot/.

Now go back to the ifeffit installation step.  At the ./configure
step, you see lots of cryptic stuff spewed to the screen.  About 30
lines into all this, you should see a line like this:

  will link to PGPLOT using -L/usr/local/pgplot/ -lpgplot -lpng -lz
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11

Then at the end, you see something like this:

  ===  ifeffit 1.0076 Configuration Results:
  ===  linking to PGPLOT with: -L/usr/local/pgplot/ -lpgplot -lpng -lz
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11

If Ifeffit's configure cannot find the pgplot libraries, you will,
instead, see something like this:

  will link to PGPLOT using
/home/bruce/codes/ifeffit_1.0b/src/pgstub/libnopgplot.a

Then at the end, it'll report

  ===  ifeffit 1.0076 Configuration Results:
  ===  linking to PGPLOT with:
/home/bruce/codes/ifeffit_1.0b/src/pgstub/libnopgplot.a

The idea is that ifeffit does a lot of stuff other than plotting.
Without pgplot, ifeffit can still be useful.  To that end, Matt has
provided a simple stub that mimics the pgplot interface, but doesn't
do anything.  This lets ifeffit get compiled and run, but when you try
to plot, bad things happen.  Both Athena and GIfeffit expect to be
able to plot and so an ifeffit library compiled against the stub leads
to problems.

If you ever see the messages about "libnopgplot.a", that is a signal
that you need to resolve the pgplot problem.  Usually, installing
pgplot using Matt's `PGPLOT_install' script then building Ifeffit is
sufficient.  However, if pgplot is installed someplace that Ifeffit's
configure script is having trouble finding, you can force the issue by
doing

    ./configure --pgplot-dir=/actual/path/to/pgplot

as the first step in the ifeffit build.

> Now, I clean up the system and reinstall in exactly the same way but using
> ifeffit 1.0075a.  gifeffit works fine now but athena gives the same error
> as before.  I can get athena to work by installing the ifeffit perl
> wrappers, however.

That's mysterious and suggests that your system wasn't as purged as
you thought ;-)

Let me know if all that helps,

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 222
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 5947
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 1697

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b, X24c, U4b
 National Synchrotron Light Source