[Ifeffit] Athena 0.8.014

Carlo U. Segre segre at iit.edu
Tue Mar 4 00:47:40 CST 2003

Bruce:

Now I am getting the runtime problems that I reported in January again.
Here is the full description of the problems.  By the way, I am using perl
version 5.6.1 and a Debian Linux "testing" distribution.

I am starting with a clean system, that is, all Ifeffit, Atoms and horae
files in /usr/local have been purged.

1. I install ifeffit 1.0076 (latest version) with
	./configure
	make
	make install

2. I install the Ifeffit python extensions
	python setup.py install

3. I install Atoms with
	perl Makefile.PL
	make
	make install

4. I install horae
	perl Makefile.PL
	make
	make install

This seems to be the propoer procedure.

tkatoms works fine but here the problems begin...

When I try to run athena I get

Can't load '/usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.1/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.so' for module
Ifeffit: /usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.1/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.so: undefined
symbol: pgqndt_
at /usr/lib/perl/5.6.1/DynaLoader.pm line 202.
 at /usr/local/bin/athena line 55
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/bin/athena line 55.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/bin/athena line 63.

When I try to run gifeffit I get

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/gifeffit", line 2, in ?
    import GIFeffit, sys
  File "/usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages/Ifeffit/GIFeffit.py", line 27, in ?
    from   Ifeffit import Ifeffit
  File "/usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.py", line 46, in ?
    import _ifeffit, types, cmd, os, sys
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages/Ifeffit/_ifeffit.so:
undefined symbol: pgqndt_

Note that the problem seems to be with the symbol "pgqndt_" in both cases
and I believe that this has to do with ifeffit (and pgplot?).

Now, I clean up the system and reinstall in exactly the same way but using
ifeffit 1.0075a.  gifeffit works fine now but athena gives the same error
as before.  I can get athena to work by installing the ifeffit perl
wrappers, however.

As a final test, I take the working installation and install ifeffit
1.0076 on top of it.  athena continues to work now as does gifeffit.  Note
that I have not installed either the python or perl wrappers in ifeffit
1.0076.

With trepidation I now install the python wrappers and the perl wrappers
and... neither gifeffit nor athena loads and I get the errors marked
above.

So, to summarize this drawn out procedure:

I cannot install on a clean system with the latest versions of ifeffit and
horae.

I can install ifeffit 1.0075a AND its wrappers and horae and then upgrade
to ifeffit 1.0076 and still get functioning programs but woe is me if I
install wrappers from ifeffit 1.0076.

Well, that is all for now, I am about to clean up the system and install
again so it works!

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics
Associate Dean for Research, Armour College