[Ifeffit] a limitation of Athena, Artemis, and Ifeffit

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Tue Jun 17 13:12:33 CDT 2003

Hi folks,

An irritating limitation of the codes was just brought to my
attention.  My colleague here at NRL had his data file in a deeply
nested folder and each folder name was long and descriptive.  The end
result was that the fully resolved file names (i.e. path and name) was
many dozens of characters.  When he tried to import these data into
Athena, Athena failed silently.  That is, Athena failed to import the
data and failed to report a reason why.

The reason is that there is, in ifeffit, a limit to the total number
of characters for the fully resolved filename.  My colleague, with his
long, descriptive folder names, had exceeded this limit.  In that
situation, the current version of Athena (and Artemis, as well) fails
silently.

In the next versions of the codes, they will issue a warning if your
fully resolved filename is too long.  For the moment, however, the
best I can do is to make you all aware of the problem and to suggest
either short folder names or placing your data high up in the file
tree.

Regards,

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 222
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 5947
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 1697

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b, X24c, U4b
 National Synchrotron Light Source