[Ifeffit] Re: Estimating error in XAS

Scott Calvin scalvin at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Mon Jul 7 12:15:45 CDT 2003

In the anecdotal category, I've seen some fairly bizarre high-r
behavior on beamline X23B at the NSLS, which I tentatively attribute
to feedback problems. That line, as many of you know, can be a little
pathological at times. I've also collected some data to examine this
issue on X11A, a more conventional beamline, but have never gotten
around to looking at it--I hope to soon.

In any case, I don't really understand the logic of averaging scans
based on some estimate of the noise. For that to be appropriate,
you'd have to believe there was some systematic difference in the
noise between scans. What's causing that difference, if they're
collected on the same beamline on the same sample? (Or did I
misunderstand Michel's comment--was he talking about averaging data
from different beamlines or something?) If there is no systematic
changes during data collection, then the noise level should be the
same, and any attempt to weight by some proxy for the actual noise
will actually decrease the statistical content of the averaged data
by overweighting some scans (i. e. random fluctuations in the
quantity being used to estimate the uncertainty will cause some scans
to dominate the average more heavily, which is not ideal if the
actual noise level is the same). If, on the other hand, there is a
systematic difference between subsequent scans, it is fairly unlikely
to be "white," and thus will not be addressed by this scheme anyway.
Perhaps one of you can give me examples where this kind of variation
in data quality is found.

So right now I don't see the benefit to this method. Particularly if
it's automated, I hesitate to add hidden complexity to my data
reduction without a clear rationale for it.

--Scott Calvin
Naval Research Lab
Code 6344