[Ifeffit] mirrors

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Wed Feb 26 08:51:48 CST 2003

Hi folks,

This morning I received email from a fellow at the Beijing Synchrotron
Radiation Facility.  He was having trouble downloading the monstrously
huge Windows installer file from Matt's web site.  He was a little
vague about what the problem was, but I suspect that it is a
combination of limited international bandwidth, distance, file size,
and http connections timing out.

It occurs to me that it would be useful to have mirrors on other
continents.  These could be entire site mirrors of the Ifeffit,
Atoms/Athena/Artemis, and/or SixPack pages or they could just be
mirrored copies of the most important files.  In any case, mirrors
might help those with limits to their bandwidth by giving them
geographically closer options for downloading the big files.

So, if anyone out there has been loving Ifeffit, isn't a programmer,
but still has been wondering how to give something back to the Ifeffit
community, establishing mirrors outside of North America would be a
great contribution.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 222
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 5947
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 1697

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b, X24c, U4b
 National Synchrotron Light Source