[Ifeffit] Re: Questions about IFEFFIT and Windows 98

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 6 21:04:29 CST 2003

Hi Kristine,

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 krk511 at casbah.it.northwestern.edu wrote:

> Matt,
>
> I'm trying to get IFEFFIT to work on a Windows 98 machine and I'm trying to
> figure out what my options are.  (Currently the three machines I use at
> Northwestern, home, and Argonne are all Win 98.)
>
> I've installed IFEFFIT, and did some original changes to correct the "Out of
> environment space" problem, now I have a: "Too many parameters  Too many
> parameters - Files\Ifeffit Bad command or file name " problem.
>
> I'm looking for suggestions.

Just to be sure, I believe the 'Out of environent space problem'
on Windows98 can be solved by putting
  SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /E:4096 /P

in the config.sys file. Is that right?

I thought the 'Too many parameters - Files\Ifeffit Bad command or
file name' message was somehow related to that, but maybe not.
If not, it may be due to a mistake in the files C:\Program
Files\Ifeffit\xxxx.bat (xxx = athena, artemis, ifeffit,
sixpack,....) which all have this line:
  @echo off
  SET IFEFFIT_DIR=C:\Program Files\Ifeffit

Could the space in the file name be a problem for Windows98 but
not Win2000??? If so, maybe adding quotes will do it:
  SET IFEFFIT_DIR='C:\Program Files\Ifeffit'

To be honest, I'm not sure, but it's probably something simple
like that.  Anyone else know how to do this or have
ifeffit/athena working on Windows 98?

Thanks,