[Ifeffit] A question ...

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Thu Feb 6 09:44:08 CST 2003

Hi folks,

Matt and I are wondering what everyone's opinion is of the Windows
installer package.  We are concerned that it's huge size is an
impediment to you, the users.  The installer file is currently over
23 Mb and the full installation is using up over 56 Mb of your
disk-space.  A significant amount of that is for things like
documentation and example files that could be (and in many cases are)
found on the web.

We are worried about people who are not in North America (as are Matt
and I) or about people who do not have high bandwidth internet
connections.

So, we want to solicit some opinions from the windows users about the
installer package.  Should we:

1.  Release the full, huge installer once per year or less and release
    smaller patches to the base installation as needed?

2.  Release the huge installer, but allow more control over which
    components get installed?

3.  Continue doing what we have been doing?

4.  Try to find volunteers to set up mirrors on other continents?

Feel free to offer any suggestions you might have about these
distribution issues to this list or to Matt or I privately.

Thanks,

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 222
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 5947
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 1697

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b, X24c, U4b
 National Synchrotron Light Source