[Ifeffit] Noise Generation in FEFFIT

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Dec 17 13:23:00 CST 2003

Hi Norbert,

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Norbert Weiher wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> I am still going with the chi^2-scan business and need a fast way to modulate
> white noise on a spectrum for some proof of principle. Has anyone a good idea
> how to do this (or would it be even possible in ifeffit)?

This is not currently available in ifeffit/feffit.  It would be
possible, even "not hard", and is probably worthwhile.

I have some relatively old code (written with help from Boyan
Boyanov) that I use to make fake noise.  The fortran, with a
linux-y Makefile is at
  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/contrib/Noise/noise_calc.tar.gz

This program prompts for a 2-column ASCII file, asks how big sigma
should be, and writes out a file with that amount of noise added to
the spectra.  That's about the extent of the documentation!!!

Is this close to what you had in mind??