[Ifeffit] Athena - resetting working directory

Bruce Ravel ravel at leonardo.phys.washington.edu
Mon Apr 28 00:41:04 CDT 2003

Hi folks,

Last week we saw a bit of mail regarding a problem wherein a unix user
would attempt to open a file and be presented with the root directory
rather than Athena's current working directory.

The cause of this is a bug in a file called FBox.pm, which is a part of
perl/Tk and is used by perl/Tk to build the file selection dialog.
perl/Tk versions up to 800.023 (and possibly later -- I am not, at the
moment, in a place where I can easily check this) have the buggy file.

To address this problem, a patched version of FBox.pm comes with the horae
tarball and normally gets installed when you install my software.  Thus
you normally should never see this problem.

If you are seeing this problem, it is because, for some reason, my patched
version did not get installed or is not being used by perl.

The easiest solution is to find the copy of FBox.pm that is being used and
replace it with the one that comes with my tarball.  That will probably
require being root.  Here is a magic command for finding the copy of
FBox.pm that perl uses:
    perl -e 'use Tk::FBox; print $INC{"Tk/FBox.pm"}, $/'

To the best of my knowledge, this is a unix-only problem.  Windows users
should never have this happen.

Regards,

 Bruce Ravel
 e-mail: ravel at phys.washington.edu