[Ifeffit] Athena - resetting working directory

Bruce Ravel ravel at leonardo.phys.washington.edu
Fri Apr 25 16:51:45 CDT 2003

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Carlo U. Segre wrote:

> Hello Bruce:
>
> I am using the latest version of Athena on Linux  and I have noticed a
> strange behavior.  I cd to the directory where my data is located and run
> athena form the command line.  When I want to open my first file, the
> dialog puts me in the same directory with no problem.  However, any time I
> try to do another file operation (reading, writing, etc), the dialog
> starts at the filesystem root "/".  Even if I move back to the initial
> directory the next time it is back at the root.

Hey Carlo,

Y'know, this just doesn't happen for me.  Athena seems to remember its
working directory just fine.

Are you using an old version of athena?

Or perhaps I am not handling the string containing the working directory
correctly.  Are there any strange characters (i.e. not [A-Za-z0-9_]) in
the working directory you intend to use that perhaps I am not escaping
and/or quoting correctly?  If so, tell me what they are so I can build a
similar directory tree and try it out myself.

When you say, "from the command line", do you mean that you are starting
Athena from the command line, then using the File menu to start reading in
data?  Or are you reading in the first data file from the command line as
well?  Like so:
    ~> athena my_data.xmu

Confusedly,

 Bruce Ravel