[Ifeffit] a pgplot question

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Fri Apr 18 16:06:49 CDT 2003

On Friday 18 April 2003 04:05 pm, Matt Newville wrote:
> A final possibility would be to drop graphics from the core
> library and rely on the wrapper to handle the graphics.
    <snip>
> This is a distinct possibility for Ifeffit2, though it would require
> some work to have a perl interface that Bruce could use.

I would not necessarily be adverse to this.  While I find it
convenient to let the ifeffit core fret about plotting, I could live
without it.  There are a number of solutions which athena and artemis
could take advantage of, including the Perl Data Library (which uses
pgplot) and an interface between perl/Tk and gnuplot.  It would also
be possible (albeit a lot of work) to build a good plotter using the
perl/Tk canvas.  So if you were to do this, I wouldn't squawk too
much.

However, if you remove plotting from the core, I wonder what you would
do for command line use of ifeffit.  One of the nice things about the
command line ifeffit program right now is that it requires neither
python nor perl to do its thing.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 222
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 5947
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 1697

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b, X24c, U4b
 National Synchrotron Light Source