Comping [Ifeffit] athena and artemis on Mac OS X 10.2

Dr. Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Fri Sep 6 07:05:55 CDT 2002

I passed along what I knew about compiling athena and artemis on Mac OS
10.2 (Jaguar). I had no trouble installing the new OS, as well as
recompiling Tk, arthemis, athena, and Atoms.  I also upgraded to the
latest perl 5.8.0.  Well, my hard disk died on my powerbook and things
didn't go as smoothly, namely because of the way options were specified
in my config hash.  To address this problem, edit the same file
MMUtil.pm and in addition to the changes I mentioned earlier, make the
following changes:

278,279c278,279
<    $self->{'LDDLFLAGS'} =~ s/-flat_namespace\s+//;
<    $self->{'LDDLFLAGS'} =~ s/-undefined\s+suppress\s+//;
---
  >    $self->{'LDDLFLAGS'} =~ s/-flat_namespace//;
  >    $self->{'LDDLFLAGS'} =~ s/-undefined\s+suppress//;
290,291c290,291
<    $self->{'LDFLAGS'} =~ s/-flat_namespace\s+//;
<    $self->{'LDFLAGS'} =~ s/-undefined\s+suppress\s+//;
---
  >    $self->{'LDFLAGS'} =~ s/-flat_namespace//;
  >    $self->{'LDFLAGS'} =~ s/-undefined\s+suppress//;

I have one more confession to make and that is I attempted (at first)
to use the new fink unstable version of pgplot which requires
additional flags to the loader to include a couple of Frameworks from
apple.  This seems to work fine if one changes the Makefile for
ifeffit, but in the end leads to undefined runtime symbols when athena,
for example, is run. I don't remember exactly the symbols, but they
were graphics related NSColor and Bezier was there as well. Somehow the
framework linking information wasn't being passed on.  Thus I have a
copy of the old pgplot in its old location for the linking.  Has anyone
else tried to tackle this situation?  I have to do some work fitting so
I am taking a break from compiling (providing my new hard disk doesn't
fail as well).