[Ifeffit] ifeffit and Mac OSX

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 11 09:13:32 CDT 2002

Thanks Bruce and Jeff,

I mostly agree with Bruce's observations and proposal.  I guess I
don't see the Developer Disk/Fink installation as being way too
difficult, especially with proper documentation, but I can see that
making it simpler would be better.  I should also say that I heard
from Paul Fons, who was rushing out of town but said he would try to
write up better instructions for using Fink and the source
installation of ifeffit, athena, tkatoms, etc than currently exist.

The firewall issue with Fink sounds serious.  I hope the Fink people
are aware of this problem, and can stick to using ports available to
those of us living under the government's protection.  I don't think
we can solve this problem.

Anyway, it would be great to have some sort of 'wizard installation'
mechanism for all of ifeffit+friends.  If a full binary installation
can be made and maintained and updated easily, that would be fine
with me.  I don't know how to make such things on a Mac, and probably
wouldn't be able to maintain this myself.

Because of the maintenance and update issues, I sort of prefer the
approach using Fink (a useful tool for other MacOSX-as-Unix things),
either with good instructions or a script that automatically runs it
for you to install X, g77, etc.  Then Ifeffit+friends could be
installed from a script that downloads, configures, compiles, and
installs from the source at the Ifeffit web page.  That does not seem
too difficult to use or maintain.

A 'download and compile source' system would make it very easy on
users and developers to update to the latest codes.  Plus,
network-based installer/updater for Mac OS X could probably be made
to work for linux as well, and possibly other Unixes.  Using apt-get
(or any similar system) or just rolling our own (like PGPLOT_install)
is OK with me.   Either way, it would not be that hard to do.

Any other opinions on this?  Any volunteers?

Thanks,