[Ifeffit] GIFeffit, Athena and Artemis Installation

Mark Jensen mjensen at anl.gov
Tue May 21 14:39:06 CDT 2002

Bruce, Matt, and everyone:

Ever since the Windows version of Athena was released, I've been hooked.
I couldn't wait for a Windows version of Artemis, so after a week of
pondering the best way to re-introduce Linux to my PC, I have installed
Linux, PGPlot, Ifeffit, Athena and Artemis this morning.

I had a problem that others doing a "Ravel-ware" installation for the
first time might run across. After an apparently successful
installation, neither Athena nor Artemis ran, saying that they couldn't
locate FileDialog.pm, widgets.pm, or Chemistry/Elements.pm (depending on
the program). I was unsure where to get these files, or why they weren't
where they were supposed to be, but the Chemistry/Elements.pm file made
me wonder if that wasn't part of Atoms3.0. Indeed it is. After
installing Atoms, Athena and Artemis both appear to be working
correctly. So, Bruce might want to make a change in the intall.unix file
to say that Athena (or Artemis) requires PGPlot, IFeffit, and Atoms.

There is one other problem that I have not solved. Ifeffit runs fine,
but when I try to run GIFeffit, the "splash window" pops up for a split
second and then I get 2 error messages before the program shuts down.
The errors are

File "/usr/local/gin/gifeffit", line 3, in GIFeffit.GIFeffit (sys.argv[1])
File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-package/Ifeffit/GIFeffit.py" line 285, in
__init__
            self.iff_dir = os.getenv('IFEFFIT_DIR)
Attribute Error: getenv

Does anyone have any thought? Have I missed something obvious in the
installation?

Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen
Chemistry Division