[Ifeffit] New pgplot in fink unstable branch

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Fri May 17 10:11:19 CDT 2002

Hi Paul,

>    There is a new version of pgplot in the unstable branch of fink which
> breaks the ifeffit install process.  The only thing that needs to be
> changed is to include the two "library" like arguments:
>
> -framework Foundation -framework AppKit
>
> to the linking arguments (or compile arguments).  The location of the
> pgplot library has also been changed to (the now standard location)
> /sw/lib/pgplot.
>
> I can see how to make the changed to the Makefile in src/macosx without
> trouble, but I am thrown a little by the python setup (it seems somewhat
> convoluted).  What changes need to be made there to reflect the new link
> arguments and the new location of the pgplot library?  Thanks.

Working with the src/macosx Makefile, it should be as simple
as adding   '-framework Foundation -framework AppKit'
to PGPLOT_LIB, and pointing it to /sw/lib/pgplot in this
Makefile, probably to something like:
PGPLOT_LIB = -framwork  Foundation -framework AppKit \
	-L/sw/lib/pgplot -lpgplot -L/usr/lib -L/sw/lib -lpng $(X_LIBS)

Running make should then create a setup_install.py that
includes these flags, and copy it to ../../wrappers/python/.
It should be as simple as
  cd src/macosx
  <edit Makefile, changing PGPLOT_LIB>
  sudo make install
  cd ../../wrappers/python
  sudo python setup.py install

You could check whether site_install.py includes '-framework...'

It's possible that this could new PGPLOT lib could be used from
the main ifeffit installation (as of 1.0071.
Obviously, I haven't tried this but
  ./configure --prefix=/sw --with-pgplot=/sw/lib/pgplot
  make FLIBS='-lg2c'

*might* work.  My hope would be to get this to work, at least
eventually (the test_plot shell script run by configure might
need alteringd, as it's new as of 1.0071).  If you're willing
to try this and let me know how it works (or where it breaks),
that would be great.

Then again, a Mac OS X binary of ifeffit might be worthwhile.

Thanks,