[Ifeffit] iFEFFit and Tcl

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 11 15:15:21 CST 2002

Hi John,

For G.I.Feffit, I think it's just a matter of getting a version
of python with Tkinter built-in.  If perl/Tk were installed,
I'd guess that athena and tkatoms would run fine too.  These
are both (python/Tkinter and perl with Tk) a small amount of
work to install.  Maybe you can get a student interested ...?

> cd /usr/local/src/ifeffit_1.0b/wrappers/tcl
> 44# sh Build
>         cc -fpic -g -c -I../../src/lib ifeffit_wrap.c -o ifeffit_wrap.o
> cc ERROR parsing -fpic:  unknown flag
> *** Error code 2 (bu21)

Oh, the Makefile for wrappers/tcl has '-fpic' hard-wired in,
which is badly gcc-specific.  I don't recall what SGI's CC
wants for 'make a shared library', but with that, it's probably
pretty easy to make the tcl wrapper.  I don't know of a
standard/portable way to build a tcl extension, so the tcl
Makefile is pretty kludgy and might need some hand-editing.