[Ifeffit] iFEFFit and Tcl

John J. Rehr jjr at leonardo.phys.washington.edu
Mon Mar 11 14:29:27 CST 2002

Hi Everyone,

  I'm simply delighted to see all the effort/success in getting
gifeffit/ifeffit/ etc. going on OSX.

  However, I'm curious about the status on SGIs. Although I've
gotten ifeffit to build and install using SGI's cc compiler
(setenv CC cc), it appears that gifeffit does not work yet
even with the latest release of ifeffit.

  Some symptoms, which may or may not be relevant:

1) from the ifeffit make install:

Making install in wrappers
Installing python extension
 Distutils works
 Testing for Tkinter and Pmw

  =====  WARNING   WARNING   WARNING   =====
  Tkinter is NOT installed, or was not found
  G.I.FEFFIT will not work.

 Pmw 0.8.5 is already installed.  Great!

2) from wrappers/tcl

cd /usr/local/src/ifeffit_1.0b/wrappers/tcl
44# sh Build
        cc -fpic -g -c -I../../src/lib ifeffit_wrap.c -o ifeffit_wrap.o
cc ERROR parsing -fpic:  unknown flag
*** Error code 2 (bu21)

  This is not an urgent matter; ifeffit/gifeffit/athena/tkatoms, etc all
appears to work fine on my laptop and desktop running various RH LINUX OS.
But we still love our SGIs.

  Cheers,
  J. Rehr