[Ifeffit] iFEFFit/PGPlot/AquaTerm

Dr. Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Sun Mar 10 19:39:34 CST 2002

On Monday, March 11, 2002, at 09:45  AM, Tsu-Chien Weng wrote:

> Hi Dr. Newville,
>
>>>  Yes, I just tried newplot() with PGPlot/AQT, not in rootless
>>> XFree86.  Since I'm a new user, I've not tried many functions
>> Wow! That's amazing!  Thanks for the pointers on building this
>> PGPLOT driver and using it with ifeffit.  How does it compare
>> with the X-Windows output?
>>
>     I grabbed few screenshots and put them in
> <http://homepage.mac.com/tsuchien/PhotoAlbum2.html>.  They seems fine
> to me.
>
>> As Paul pointed out:
>>
>>> ... but now that I have gifeffit running, it is clear that it
>>> very much an X11 application and  will be hard to change and
>> currently all GUIs for ifeffit require X because they use the
>> Tk widget set.  A more native Mac GUI would be possible, but at
>> Since Tk worked on Mac OS9, it might be possible that python/Tk
>> could work without X (I had heard that it did, but wasn't
>>

>     Thanks for clearing up my thought on G.I.FEFFIT.  I just learn that
> GUI control in Cocoa is similar to uicontrol() in matlab (in some
> ways).  To write a native GUI will be an interesting project, but my
> beamtime at BioCAT is next Wednesday.  Hope I can find more time after
> that.
>

> Tsu-Chien
> <Chien>001000</Chien>

   A native interface would be a very nice thing.  I have started
studying Cocoa and have found what appears to be an excellent book on
the subject that I thought I would pass along, namely " Cocoa:
Programming for Mac OS X" by Aarn Hillegass.  I have only read the first
chapter or so, but I it looks like a very friendly environment (you can
lean on the application frameworks very heavily).  I still have no real
idea how hard it would be to port gifeffit in some semi-automated way to
Cocoa (gifeffit is still changing so incorporating changes in a
reasonable time seems like an important priority.)

											Paul

Dr. Paul Fons
Photonics Research Institute
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science and Technology
Ministry of Economics and Trade
Umezono 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Japan 305-8568
tel. 81-298-61-5636 fax. 81-298-61-5615