[Ifeffit] Status of ifeffit, atoms, athena, etc on MacOS X

Charles Bouldin charles.bouldin at nist.gov
Wed Mar 6 12:48:29 CST 2002

This may be the first message on the mailing list? It is a message
mostly composed of questions:

I have ifeffit and atoms running just fine on MacOS X, thanks to
Francois' hard work figuring some things out and Matt's quick port of
ifeffit.

1. Does anyone have Athena running?

2. Is anyone able to run ifeffit from Terminal.app, as opposed to
running it from an xterm? When I try this, I get an error message,
"PGPLOT /xw: cannot connect to X server". When I do ps -aux | grep
pgp I see a process

charlesb  3239   0.0  0.1    67316    672 std- S      0:00.04
/sw/pgplot/pgxwin_server -display :0.0

so clearly  I need to something to tell terminal.app about the pgplot
server? Anyone have advice on this? I just don't know where to look
beyond this point.

Why do I care about this distinction? (1) Terminal.app supports
cut/copy/paste, (2) terminal.app is scriptable, which means that you
can define define macros, or use script menu to put in common command
blocks. In principle, this means that you could use Applescript
studio to control ifeffit from a mac-native gui.

3. Has anyone run ifeffit using aquaterm?

I'm very heartened by the recent rapid progress and hope that it can continue.