[Ifeffit] artemis source code update

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Mon Jun 17 14:53:33 CDT 2002

Hi,

I fixed the following four problems with artemis reported to me last
week:

  1. a really bad bug triggered by using capital letters in parameter
     names
  2. a strange end-of-line problem when artemis was run on unix using
     feffNNNN.dat files made on windows
  3. the "View paths.dat" button will look for "paths.dat" or
     "path00.dat", i.e. it will find the paths file from feff6 or
     feff8
  4. several related bugs in how the functional form of the FT windows
     were chosen and displayed on the screen

I updated the source tarball and posted it on my web site.

  http://feff.phys.washington.edu/~ravel/software/exafs/

Artemis currently has the unfortunate, complimetary problems of
lacking documentation while being a complex and unintuitive program.
The best suggestion I can make for now for learning to use it is to
check out the two project files in the examples/Cu/ directory.  They
are the ones with the .apj extensions.  If you are a feffit user, you
can import your `feffit.inp' files.  If you have never used feffit
before, I would recommend reading Chapters 2 and 4 of the `notes.pdf'
file found on the web page for my "EXAFS Analysis Using FEFF and
FEFFIT" course:
  http://leonardo.phys.washington.edu/~ravel/course/
Between that and examining the project files, hopefully Artemis will
make some kind of sense.

Thanks especially to Mark Jensen and Michael DeLeon for their email in
the last few days.

Regards,

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Naval Research Laboratory, Code 6134               phone: (1) 202 767 5947
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 1697

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b, X24c, U4b
 National Synchrotron Light Source