[Ifeffit] Perl 5.8 and ifeffit

Dr. Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Wed Jul 31 20:53:44 CDT 2002

I have now gotten perl 5.8.0 to work with both athena and artemis.  As
Carlo said in an earlier message, the binaries of 5.6 and 5.8 are not
compatible and it necessitates rebuilding compiled packages.  There is
an OS X problem as well in that the make install command for perl 5.8
doesn't seem to overwrite all of the files so I manually deleted the old
installation and did a make install in the perl 5.8 directory.   The
weird thing is that only tkatoms (B6) doesn't recompile.  I can't even
do a perl Makefile.PL without getting an error.  Any ideas?

Here is a clip:

  perl -v
This is perl, v5.8.0 built for darwin

[etld1220:~/Ports/Atoms-3.0beta6] paulfons% perl Makefile.PL
dyld: perl Undefined symbols:
_Perl_safefree
_Perl_safemalloc
_Perl_saferealloc
_Perl_sv_2pv
_perl_call_sv
_perl_eval_sv
_perl_get_sv

Dr. Paul Fons
Photonics Research Institute
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science and Technology
Ministry of Economics and Trade
Umezono 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Japan 305-8568
tel. 81-298-61-5636 fax. 81-298-61-5615