[Ifeffit] continuous scan data

Carlo U. Segre segre at iit.edu
Thu Jul 18 02:27:36 CDT 2002

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Bruce Ravel wrote:

>  CS> What is done with the high density data when converting to
>  CS> k-space?  Do you rebin (averaging both E and mu data) or do you
>  CS> use a smoothing fit to take advantage of the statistics present
>  CS> in the excess data points, or do you just interpolate and throw
>  CS> away the extra statistics?
>
> I think I answered this above.  I suppose you might say that ifeffit
> "interpolates and throws", but even that depends on what advantage you
> claim to be getting by measuring on a finer grid.  There are physical
> limits to the resolution, so in that sense a finer grid does not help.
> However, mesuring for one second per point on, say, a 0.25 eV grid is
> similar in a counting statistics sense to two measurements of one
> second per point on a 0.5 eV grid.  That counting statistics
> improvement is not lost in the interpolation of chi(E) to chi(k).

I think that this last sentence is the answer that I was looking for.  I
wanted to know if the counting statistics improvement is propagated in the
transformation to k-space.  This is good since it means that we do not
have to write our own rebinning or smoothing routines before handing the
data off to athena and ifeffit.

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics